1. No ugly desalination plants to look at on the coast.
2. No huge releases of brackish water in shallow coastal waters.
3. No angry hordes of environmentalists protesting on the beach.
4. Because offshore desalination facilities would be smaller:
a. they would be less expensive and could be built as needed
b. distributed facilities would mean greater reliability (loss of one facility of
many wouldn't matter as much)
c. consequently, they would be less susceptible to terrorism
d. they would release much smaller amounts of brackish water – into deep waters
e. they would require less power per facility
f. they would be easier to relocate
5. Barges could be moved away from red tides
6. Offshore facilities would be unharmed by tsunamis
7. Offshore facilities would be unharmed by earthquakes
8. Offshore facilities would be unharmed by floods
9. Offshore facilities would be unaffected by sea level rise
10. There is room offshore to install renewable energy generation